Make a loan application is usually the measure we use to unplanned expenses, events such as medical emergencies, expenses related to the mechanics of your car, complete the amount of investment, consolidate debts and many other reasons may lead you to need extra money.
Now, the question arises of which financial product is the best for you.
Like a car, the bus, the train or even a bicycle can take you to the same destination and your choice is based on the circumstance of the moment, also different financial products will allow you to solve your liquidity problem.
We can group these financial products into two most frequent types, installment loans, and payday loans.
Which one you need will depend to a large extent on your ability to pay and how much you need.
Which one allows you to save more money? Again, it will depend on your circumstances, because the economic situation of each person is unique, so we will help you understand these products and their differences.
About the Types Of Loans:
Since most of us think of these financial products only when we need them, it is important to understand that they are installment loans and payday loans.
As its name indicates, the repayment of this type of loan is carried out through terms that usually range from 6 months to 5 years (60 months).
It can be said that interest rates are relatively high, although as a rule, they are lower than the rates of payday loans. -Most loans fall into this category, including car loans and mortgages.
Recently the installment loans have been diversified in order to include unsecured loans, so if you need a high amount -usually not exceeding $ 100,000- you do not need to guarantee it with your car or with a mortgage.
Historically, installment loans have been associated with borrowers with bad credit, but remain an option for those with good or bad credit, can be obtained from banks, independent lenders or credit unions; although there have also appeared online companies willing to offer this type of loans.
Advantages of Installment Loans
- Predictable payments: at the time of contracting the product you will know exactly the amount of each installment, allowing you to program the loan within your expenses.
- Less aggressive quotas: given that the amounts are usually relatively high, the number of installments in which you divide it will make the payments less harmful to your monthly budget.
- Quick and easy: usually, you will get the money deposited directly into your account in a couple of days after being approved, or you can get cash.
- Promotions: some installment loans offer benefits, perhaps the reduction of fees and rewards of various types.
- Score: if you are responsible for the payments you can build your credit with them, and if you have a bad score you can improve it.
- Refund: Normally there are no penalties for early repayment.
Disadvantages of Installment Loans
- High interest: You may end up paying more than you would pay with a payday loan after making all the payments.
- Penalties: it can cost you much more if you do not make your payments on time.
- Very easy: the ease of obtaining it may tempt you to borrow unnecessarily.
- Refinancing: in case your financial situation changes before finalizing the refund, the refinancing can be difficult to negotiate.
By contracting this type of product you can pretend to amounts ranging between $ 50 and $ 1,000 with the condition of reimbursing in a short time, usually in terms ranging from one week to 60 days.
You should not overlook that the annual percentage rate (APR) for these loans is quite high and that you cannot get it in all states because they are not considered legal by their laws.
It stands out with respect to this product that is very easy to obtain, it is usually enough to have stable income, own bank account and be a US citizen or permanent resident.
Then, in addition to requiring a few things, websites abound where you can buy this type of loan, although you must be careful to avoid scams.
Consider missing a payment on a payday loan is a serious fault for your economy because you have little time to reorganize your budget.
Advantages of Payday Loans
- Easy to obtain: practically anyone with a stable income can access a payday loan.
- The quickest option: in essence, complete a request by hand or online and you will be just minutes away from approval; having your cash in hand or in your bank account the next business day if you get it online.
- Accessible: there are payday loan agencies in most cities and there are also several options online –So that you don’t even have to go out-.
- Eligibility: Your credit score matters little to be approved with a payday loan.
Disadvantages of Payday Loans
- Most expensive option: it is well known that interest rates on payday loans are among the highest in the financial market. This, working in compensation for the availability, low requirements, and
- Scamming lenders: there are some fraudulent lenders and fake websites around, making it really important to verify the lender’s information before signing any agreement.
- It can become cyclical: it’s easy to fall behind when you use your next paycheck to pay off a payday loan, turning these into a weapon that hurts your financial health.
- Penalties: you must pay a fine for advance payment and in case of refinancing you will lose a lot of money in fines.
- Influence on credit: if you pay it within the term does not improve your credit, but when you violate your history is stained.
How to Choose Between an Installment Loan and A Payday Loan
Knowing what each of these loans consists of and their advantages and disadvantages, the question remains: how do I know which one to choose?
Remember that all the circumstances are different, but we will illustrate several situations that can help you to know how to choose.
When you need to build your credit or improve your credit rating then you must choose a loan in installments.
Remember that the formula used to rate your credit includes your current debts and payment history, so requesting this product and taking advantage of it to invest, pay for academic studies, reform your home or another significant reason is a good way to build your credit.
The opposite occurs when you have to face unplanned minor expenses. Imagine that the payment of your salary is delayed for an extraordinary reason, you still need to eat, pay the rent and face the rest of your expenses, surely $ 1000 will be enough to solve your situation while your payment is regularized, once you have the money, you reimburse it.
On the other hand, facing a medical emergency is a different matter, maybe you just need to buy some supplies and medicines, in that case, a few dollars will be enough, and the best way to obtain them would be through a payday loan.
But if you must face an emergency operation or other serious medical situation it is possible that the expenses are high, opting for a loan that allows you to prolong your payments will relieve your monthly budget, and although you will pay more interest you will be able to face the new debt.
There will be times when you simply cannot qualify for a payday loan for living in the states where it is prohibited:
- New Mexico.
- North Carolina
- West Virginia.
- New York
- New Jersey
Keep in mind that when your credit rating is lousy, perhaps installment loans may not be the best option for you because of your score influences, first, the amount of money you approve with respect to the one you request and, second, the rates and rates that the lender decides to apply in your case.
Therefore, in those cases, it is better for you to resort to payday loans.
Covering each of the situations in such a short time is not possible, but with these examples, you can have a clearer idea of what type of loan to apply according to your current situation.
One piece of information … always tell the truth in your application, so the lenders will know how to adapt the product to your needs
After considering what is a payday loan and an installment loan, as well as what they provide you are better prepared to make a decision.
Do not forget that when your credit rating is not very good the best is the day of payment, while if all you want is to build your credit then you should choose those that are in installments and never think that to resort to these products means a financial failure, after all, the unforeseen happen to anyone.