How To Get Rid Of Harmful Chemicals And Substances At Home
Many harmful chemicals and substances can be found in the home. Some of these include cleaning products, pesticides, and even certain types of food. While it is impossible to eliminate all of these from your home completely, there are some steps you can take to reduce your exposure to them.
Check for asbestos
Many harmful chemicals and substances can be found in the home, and one of the most dangerous is asbestos. Asbestos is a naturally occurring mineral that was once widely used in construction and other industries. Unfortunately, asbestos fibers can cause serious health problems if they’re inhaled, including lung cancer and mesothelioma.
If you live in an older home, it’s important to have it tested for asbestos before starting any renovation projects. Also, if this substance is found after the test, it’s important to get rid of it as soon as possible. If you do have asbestos in your home, don’t try to remove it yourself.
The best way to do this is to have a professional come in and check for asbestos and make sure they have the certification, training, and experience in removing asbestos. If they find this substance in your home, they can remove it immediately and carefully. Once the asbestos is removed, make sure to keep the area well-ventilated to prevent any further exposure.
Remove lead paint
Lead paint was commonly used in homes up until the late 1970s. If your home was built before 1978, there’s a good chance it contains lead paint. While lead paint isn’t necessarily harmful if it’s in good condition, it can become dangerous if it begins to flake or chip. When inhaled or ingested, lead can cause serious health problems, including learning disabilities, behavioral problems, and seizures.
If you think your home may have lead paint, have it tested by a professional. If test results return positive, you’ll need to hire a certified contractor to remove the lead paint safely. This is not a project you should attempt on your own.
Get rid of mold
Mold is a type of fungus that thrives in damp, dark environments. It can cause serious health problems, including respiratory infections and allergic reactions. If you think your home has a mold problem, have it inspected by a professional. If test results return positive, you’ll need to hire a certified contractor to remove the mold safely.
Reduce radon levels
Radon is a colorless, odorless gas that can seep into homes through cracks in the foundation. It’s the leading cause of lung cancer among non-smokers and is responsible for about 21,000 deaths yearly.
If you think your home may have high radon levels, have it tested by a professional. If test results return positive, you’ll need to take steps to reduce the radon level in your home. This may involve sealing cracks in the foundation or installing a ventilation system.
Get rid of arsenic
Arsenic is a naturally occurring element that can be found in water, soil, and air. It can also be found in some building materials, such as pressure-treated wood and certain types of insulation. While exposure to low levels of arsenic isn’t necessarily harmful, long-term exposure can increase your risk of cancer.
If you think your home may have high levels of arsenic, have it tested by a professional. If test results return positive, you’ll need to take steps to reduce the level of arsenic in your home. This may involve sealing cracks in the foundation or installing a ventilation system.
By identifying harmful chemicals and substances and taking steps to eliminate them, you can significantly reduce your exposure to them. This will create a healthier environment for you and your family.