10 Best Places to Sell Photos Online
Looking for some places to sell photos online? As a professional or amateur photographer, you may look back every once in a while, and say “Holy cow! I got a wide portfolio of unsold pictures”. Therefore, we brought you a list of the best 10 sites to get some of your unpaid work back into your pocket.
The first of the top 10 places to sell photos that we present to you today is the SmugMug portal.
It is a website that allows you to host and share images and works as an online video platform, through which its users can upload photos and videos.
Among the main advantages offered by this website, we can mention
The SmugMug website has four different account type levels, offering a subset of different and attractive features.
SmugMug allows you to sell all your digital and print creations or resources, no matter if you are a professional or an amateur photographer.
Now It’s turned to introduce you to Shutterstock, a leading website that provides the highest quality images, videos, and music, under license, to anyone who needs creative material for inspiration. Whether video editors, graphic designers, or creative directors, anyone who needs a good muse to give free rein to their work is welcomed here.
Among the outstanding features of Shutterstock, we can mention
- Shutterstock’s content is royalty-free, but it is not free, as it works with a kind of copyrighted intellectual property.
- You will have access to more than 100 million images in its stock.
- Shutterstock has an image editor that easily makes attractive and eye-catching designs, even if you are not a design professional.
Besides, if you join the Shutterstock website to upload your photos or images, you will be part of the more than 140,000 artists worldwide who are currently registered.
Have you ever imagined uploading the same image to all social networks, with its respective caption and hashtags simultaneously, all at the same time, in a single click? I’m sure you think it’s impossible. However, Photerloo is a convenient software that allows you to upload the same image to different web services, such as Twitter, Facebook, Flickr, and Adobe Stock.
What features does Photerloo offer you concerning other websites?
- It is compatible with all browsers, even Microsoft Edge.
- The software can recognize the content of your photo and thus suggest the best hashtags to place.
- Its interface is simple and quick to use, and in a matter of minutes, you will be able to publish your images!
- It is free and can be used with a simple registration.
However, we must warn you that if your beloved photos or images are not in.JEPG format, then you will be in trouble since this is the only format supported by the software so far. However, it is worth giving this tool a chance.
It’s the turn of the ShootProof online test photography service server. This online website will allow you to upload, share, and sell your photographs through its web portal. And it is you, as the owner of these photographs, who determines which products you will sell, at what prices, and you are even given an option to add a professional photo finish to your ordering resources.
There are many features, but the most outstanding ones we can point out are
- You can view and order your photos on mobile devices such as smartphones and tablets (including iPhones, iPad, or iPods).
- There is the possibility of generating exchange in the most popular social media platforms today.
- You have flexibility in terms of hosting plans so that they can match the seasonality of the industry.
If you need a website to help you sell your best pictures and haven’t decided yet which one suits you best, let us introduce you to PhotoShelter, whose philosophy is based on what the customer can do for the photographer vice versa.
What does PhotoShelter offer you?
You decide which photos to sell and how much you want to sell them for.
The buyer can download your photos in different resolutions, request a print of your photo, or even buy the rights to publish it.
Once you have established the parameters you want to sell your photo, the rest is Photoshelter’s job, so you can relax and take a look from time to time to check how your sales are going.
Even though it is not the best known in cyberspace, Photoshelter has the support of more than 50,000 photographers who have decided to trust the site and have seen positive results, so dare to try this website to sell your photos.
The large and varied Adobe family also has its service to access photos, videos, illustrations, 3D content, and much more, not only for designers but even for companies. It does so through Adobe Stock, where you can find many resources of high quality.
If you want to know some more details about Adobe Stock, here we tell you more:
- Royalty-free licensed content, so you can complement your projects with what you need.
- You can purchase an Adobe Stock subscription to access various content, depending on the package you decide to subscribe to.
- All resources hosted on the site are high resolution and quality.
- Authentic, varied content is uploaded daily to the site.
- You can easily share between multiple devices thanks to the integration of Creative Cloud.
As you’ll notice, Adobe Stock has features and tools that make it stand out from the other online sites we’ve introduced so far, so it won’t hurt to take a tour of their official site and learn more about the packages they have to offer.
TourPhotos is a website that is used either by companies or individual artists in the field of a tourism business or are excursions, activities involving this field, etc. and requires a place where they can effectively present their work to potential customers.
This online portal offers you multiple benefits and advantages that should be highlighted:
- You can organize the photos by day, or type of activity, so your clients can find the photos they want to have access to much faster.
- You can integrate it perfectly with your website, which will help you generate SEO traffic.
- Photo downloads are done in high resolution.
- Your photos can be shared directly on Facebook and will have direct credit to the company name.
As you can see, TourPhotos is a site that has been designed to bring your customers the best pictures you have to offer and presents attractive features not only for you as a seller but for your customers and the consumers of your content.
Alamy offers you on its website an archive of approximately 125 million images, videos, and illustrations that have been uploaded as contributions not only from independent photographers but also from agencies or that have been collected from old archives, national collections, or even museums.
What does Alamy offer that might interest you?
Well, Alamy allows you to access all of these resources, whether you’re a professional or amateur photographer. Besides, clients you will find on this website are from the world of photography, advertising, advertising industries, and the general public.
The difference between Alamy and other sites is that here you will be able to find content that is not common in other portals, such as those images or photographs taken from museums or belonging to national collections that you will not be able to see elsewhere.
Almost closing our list is Esty, a huge online marketplace whose specialty is more than just selling antiques, handmade items, or craft supplies. On the other hand, anyone who wants to open their virtual shop at Etsy and put their products on sale.
Here are some highlights:
- So far, there are over 800,000 stores on Etsy.
- It has so far more than 18 million products on sale.
- The most common payment method is through Paypal.
Etsy is a slightly different website from the ones we presented before since it is a whole online marketplace where you can offer your products to millions of potential buyers. So it is not the first place people will look for pictures, but it is a nice place to promote yourself as a photographer.
To close the list of the top 10 online places to sell your photos, there is Zenfolio.
This is a website creator where you can find everything you want in one place, and you’ll love it if you’re one of those photographers who don’t have programming experience but are interested in having their place to sell their pieces.
Zenfolio gives you that:
- Modern galleries and an e-commerce system.
- A knowledge center and customer service team to solve your doubts.
We should mention that although the site’s interface is of the “drag and drop” type, it can be a little more difficult than usual to learn how to use it completely. Besides, it doesn’t have too many themes for you to work with, but it is certainly a good website to upload your pictures if you are not too demanding.
At the End
If you want to make some money with your hobby –Or just your dusty old portfolio- Adobe Stock and Shutterstock are nice passive places. On the other hand, SmugMug and Etsy are great places to boost your career as a photographer. So check the sites that look better for you, and let us know how it goes!