When to Choose Between Installment Loans or Payday Loans
Installment Loans or Payday Loans
Making a loan application is usually the measure we use for unplanned expenses, events such as medical emergencies, costs related to the mechanics of your car, completing the amount of investment, consolidating debts, and many other reasons that may lead you to need extra money.
Now, the question arises of which financial product is the best for you.
A car, a bus, a train, or a bicycle can take you to the same destination, and your choice is based on the moment’s circumstance. Also, different financial products will allow you to solve your liquidity problem. We can group these financial products into the most frequent types, installment loans, and payday loans.
Which one you need will depend mainly on your ability to pay and how much you need. Which one allows you to save more money? Again, it will depend on your circumstances because each person’s economic situation is unique, so we will help you understand these products and their differences.
About the Types Of Loans: Since most of us think of these financial products only when we need them, it is crucial to understand that they are installment and payday loans.
As its name indicates, this type of loan is repaid through terms ranging from 6 months to 5 years (60 months). Therefore, it can be said that interest rates are relatively high, although, as a rule, they are lower than the rates of payday loans. -Most loans fall into this category, including car loans and mortgages.
Recently the installment loans have been diversified to include unsecured loans, so if you need a high amount -usually not exceeding $ 100,000- you do not need to guarantee it with your car or mortgage.
Historically, installment loans have been associated with borrowers with bad credit but remain an option for those with good or bad credit, which can be obtained from banks, independent lenders, or credit unions. However, online companies have also been willing to offer this type of loan.
Advantages of Installment Loans
- Predictable payments: When contracting the product, you will know the installment amount, allowing you to program the loan within your expenses.
- Less aggressive quotas: given that the amounts are usually relatively high, the number of installments you divide will make the payments less harmful to your monthly budget.
- Quick and easy: usually, you will get the money deposited directly into your account in a couple of days after being approved, or you can get cash.
- Promotions: some installment loans offer benefits, perhaps the reduction of fees and rewards of various types.
- Score: if you are responsible for the payments, you can build your credit with them, and if you have a bad score, you can improve it.
- Refund: Normally, there are no penalties for early repayment.
Disadvantages of Installment Loans
- High interest: You may pay more than you would pay with a payday loan after making all the payments.
- Penalties: can cost you much more if you do not make your payments on time.
- Very easy: the ease of obtaining it may tempt you to borrow unnecessarily.
- Refinancing: If your financial situation changes before finalizing the refund, the refinancing can be difficult to negotiate.
By contracting this type of product, you can pretend to amount between $ 50 and $ 1,000 with the condition of reimbursing in a short time, usually from one week to 60 days.
It would help if you did not overlook that the annual percentage rate (APR) for these loans is relatively high and that you cannot get it in all states because they are not considered legal by their laws.
What stands out concerning this product is that it is effortless to obtain. And it is usually enough to have a stable income, own a bank account, and be a US citizen or permanent resident.
Then, in addition to requiring a few things, websites abound where you can buy this type of loan, although you must be careful to avoid scams. Consider missing a payment on a payday loan is a severe fault for your economy because you have little time to reorganize your budget.
Advantages of Payday Loans
- Easy to obtain: practically anyone with a stable income can access a payday loan.
- The quickest option: in essence, complete a request by hand or online, and you will be just minutes away from approval, having your cash in hand or your bank account the next business day if you get it online.
- Accessible: there are payday loan agencies in most cities, and there are also several options online –So that you don’t even have to go out.
- Eligibility: Your credit score matters little to be approved with a payday loan.
Disadvantages of Payday Loans
- Most expensive option: it is well known that interest rates on payday loans are among the highest in the financial market. This, working in compensation for the availability, low requirements, and
- Scamming lenders: there are some fraudulent lenders and fake websites around, making verifying the lender’s information necessary before signing any agreement.
- It can become cyclical: it’s easy to fall behind when you use your next paycheck to pay off a payday loan, turning these into a weapon that hurts your financial health.
- Penalties: you must pay a fine for advance payment, and in the case of refinancing, you will lose a lot of money in fines.
- Influence on credit: if you pay it within the term, it does not improve your credit, but your history is stained when you violate it.
How to Choose Between an Installment Loan and A Payday Loan
Knowing what each of these loans consists of and their advantages and disadvantages, the question remains: how do I know which one to choose?
Remember that all the circumstances are different, but we will illustrate several situations to help you choose. First, you must select an installment loan when you need to build your credit or improve your credit rating.
Remember that the formula used to rate your credit includes your current debts and payment history, so requesting this product and taking advantage of it to invest, pay for academic studies, reform your home, or another significant reason is an excellent way to build your credit.
The opposite occurs when you have to face unplanned minor expenses. For example, imagine your salary payment being delayed for an extraordinary reason. You still need to eat, pay the rent and meet the rest of your expenses. Surely $ 1000 will be enough to solve your situation while your payment is regularized. Once you have the money, you reimburse it.
On the other hand, facing a medical emergency is a different matter. For example, maybe you need to buy some supplies and medicines. In that case, a few dollars will be enough, and the best way to obtain them would be through a payday loan.
But if you must face an emergency operation or other serious medical situation, the expenses may be high. Opting for a loan that allows you to prolong your payments will relieve your monthly budget, and although you will pay more interest, you will be able to face the new debt. But, unfortunately, there will be times when you cannot qualify for a payday loan for living in the states where it is prohibited:
- New Mexico.
- North Carolina
- West Virginia.
- New York
- New Jersey
Keep in mind that when your credit rating is lousy, perhaps installment loans may not be the best option for you because your score influences, first, the amount of money you approve concerning the one you request and, second, the rates and rates that the lender decides to apply in your case.
Therefore, in those cases, you should resort to payday loans.
Covering each situation in such a short time is impossible, but with these examples, you can have a clearer idea of what type of loan to apply for according to your current situation. One piece of information … always tell the truth in your application, so the lenders will know how to adapt the product to your needs.
After considering what payday and installment loans are and what they provide, you are better prepared to decide.
Do not forget that the best is the day of payment when your credit rating is not very good. In contrast, if you want to build your credit, you should choose those in installments and never think that resorting to these products means a financial failure. After all, the unforeseen happens to anyone.